Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Miles is a Big Boy

A few weeks ago, with help from Hidee, Mimi, Papa, Todd, and Julie, we converted our guest room into Miles' new "big boy" bedroom. We decided on a hunting theme because Matt wanted to keep his prized deer mount on the wall and well I kind of feel bad for him because he doesn't have a man cave. So, I caved in.




Miles helped Daddy get supplies for the big renovation.


Now, it looks amazing but I'll tell you it took a lot more than just painting and decorating...

Being married almost 5 years and living in our house almost 6, Matt and I have accumulated a lot of "stuff". The guest room, the guest closet, and the attic were the dumping ground for this "stuff". And when I say Matt and I, I mean that very loosely considering that the majority of "stuff" we got rid of was mine. We cleaned out the closet, attic, and drawers. We had 30+ bags that we donated to Goodwill. So after a month or so of getting people to take our old furniture, going through drawers and clothes, and donating things we were ready to get started on Miles' new pad. (Side note: I didn't take any before and after pictures. Once we finished, I realized I should have to show our progress so sorry.)

Papa and Mimi helped us buy new furniture for the little man, which is perfect for his hunting themed room. Hidee came and faux painted the back wall to look like camouflage. She also helped me transfer Miles' clothes and toys over to his new closet as well as helped me decorate and clean. Todd helped us move the furniture in the room. We couldn't have done this project without all of these helping hands so thank you from the bottom of our hearts!

Here's the finished project:





And Matt built the headboard to Miles' new bed. He used pallets he got from a work friend of his.


Miles helped him anchor it to the bed and the wall.





I am proud of my husband for this wonderful addition to our son's room. I think it is perfect!


Miles has done a great job sleeping in his new room, which is a surprise to us because Miles isn't a good sleeper. I think he believes he will miss something big if he falls asleep so he fights it with all of his might. The first night in his new room, he slept in his new bed with Hidee. Then, the next day, he took a nap in his big boy bed, but it took Matt and I both laying up there with him for him to go to sleep.


Miles was excited and very satisfied with his new room.



The second night, we were a little apprehensive about putting him in the big boy bed all night, but we treated it like a band aid and just ripped it off and put him in his new bed. Well...Matt checked on him about 1:30...I woke up at 3:30 to use the restroom (imagine that) and I checked on him and then I woke up for the day about 7. He slept until after 8. It was like he loved sleeping in that bed.


If you squint you can see Miles sound asleep.

He has been in his new bed and room for about two weeks now and he loves it. I am incredibly proud of our big boy...and elated to have one room finished. Now on to the nursery for Miller. Hoping to finish it pretty soon so stay tuned.

**I also want to give a shout out to Tim York and Uncle Trey for helping us get our old furniture out of this room. Thanks guys! Additionally, we appreciate Tim and my friend April for graciously taking most of our furniture to their houses.**

No comments:

Post a Comment